In 1926, the Omer Davis Company was formed when Mr. Davis purchased Mr. Leist’s shares of their company. Mr. Davis operated all three entities for a short while, but decided to sell the hardware store to Willis and Stoll.
Mr. Davis purchased a new limousine funeral car measuring over 18 feet long in 1927. The company had also acquired an invalid coach and three other cars by this time. In 1929, the Omer Davis Company became the first full service funeral home in the area.
In 1936, the entity became known as the Davis-Hammerstein Company and on October 1, 1952, Omer Davis sold his share of the company to Lamar and Robert Hammerstein.
Later, the Hammerstein men decided to separate the furniture store and the funeral home, but kept the funeral home in its original location on Main St., across from the Beaver school.
The Hammerstein’s operated the funeral home until 1974, at which time the business was sold to James and Helen Purdy. The Purdy family, along with Mike Patrick who was an apprentice, operated the funeral home until 1978.